→This post may contain affiliate links.
A’Peeling Banana Face Mask
I’m in a fruits are amazing for my skin funk. And it’s amazing! These yellow fruity friends, known as bananas, are found in many hydrating skin and hair care products.
Those skincare products also have lots of other ingredients, like chemicals and preservatives. Here’s an easy to make mask that’s totally natural without the additives.
I’ve gone bananas for this mask!
If you can’t tell by the name (apeeling banana mask), I’m also really excited about a bunch of banana puns in this mask.
I’m also super sad that summer is coming to a close along with it the fruit season is too. I thoroughly enjoyed the exfoliating mango face mask and papaya clay mask this summer. Luckily, bananas are a fruit that’s available all year round, with majority of the bananas coming from central and south america.
I sure remember as a child being told this mushy fruit was integral to my potassium nutrition. Which is true, but it’s also packed with a bunch of other vitamins.
Bananas contain potassium, magnesium, Vitamin C and Vitamin B6. (nutrition source)
Bananas first garnered a name for themselves as a beauty ingredient in hair mask treatments. The vitamin c and magnesium contained in banana is thought to be responsible for increased hydration.
The folic acid, vitamins, and catechins antioxidant make banana a great addition to a face mask. This face mask, combined with french green clay, is wonderful for:
- Soothing Inflamed skin
- Acne and blemishes
- Anti aging face mask
- Shrinking the appearance of pores
And others agree. Ohlehendrikson features a banana eye cream, that has over 2k four star reviews. Created after a makeup artist discovered how banana setting powder color corrects and brightens.
I am a fan of combining hydrating ingredients into clay masks to balance the drying effect of the clay. Banana’s are a perfect candidate for that. French Green clay is an effective clay for acne, and has moderate to strong absortion capabilities. That means a really great clean.
The very fine 275 mesh, French Green Clay is one of 4 clays in our facial clay assortment pack available on amazon.
Is Banana good for your face?
There is still much research to be done on the benefits of topically applying banana for your skin.
The prebiotics you garner from eating a banana keep your gut healthy. Some initial research has linked gut health to skin health. Plus it’s just real food.
One of the biggest benefits of banana for your skin are it’s increased hydration. That’s thanks to the Vitamin C and magnesium contained in the banana. Bathing in magnesium rich baths has been found to increase hydration.
Most of the well rated banana beauty products like banana shampoo and body butter are all hydrating.
The journal of phytochemistry found banana’s to be effective for dry skin.
2. Improve skin firmness
As we ripen in our old age, skin elasticity is important to keep top of mind in your skin routine. Collagen production slows after your late 20’s, starting to affect the appearance of your skin and aging.
Researchers found folic acid, from B6 a major vitamin in bananas, along with creatine moisturizer had an increase in collagen density, gene expression and procollagen levels.
3. Fight Acne
Bananas are anti inflammatory which work to soothe those acne and breakouts.
To fight acne, you can even simply apply a banana peel to your blemish for up to 5 minutes. I much rather prefer to incorporate it into a face mask. Way more relaxing.
4. Anti Aging
Several flavonoids are found in bananas, notably catechins. As a powerful antioxidant, catechins work to protect your skin from free radical damage.
This protects your skin from UV damage, fights wrinkles and improves overall appearance of skin. Catechins are very concentrated in green tea, also in our matcha green tea face mask.
More Fruity Clay Mask Recipes:
– Vitamin C Packed Mango Mask. Mangos are my favorite tropical fruit and the Vitamin C they are packed with make it a wonderful vitamin enriched mask with kaolin clay.
– Tropical Papaya Face Mask. Combing papaya and coconut, 2 favorite tropical fruits have 2 unique antioxidants agents for lightening and balancing results.
– Antioxidant Rich Pomegranate Face Mask. Studied as a potential cancer prevention food, pomegranates contain a ton of antioxidants, vitamins and over 100 phyto chemicals. Great mask for anti aging no matter what age!
Is French Green Clay Good for your Skin?
French Green Clay is my go-to pore refining mask. It also features a wonderful cleansing ability to remove impurities from deep in your pores.
This skin cleanse and rejuvenation works to tighten your pores and skin tone. Don’t just take my word for it, you can feel the tightening effects after a face mask.
The benefits of french green clay are:
– cleansing and absorbing impurities from your pores
– shrinking the appearance of your pores
– tightening your skin
– balancing skin complexion
Our french green clay is ground into a super fine powder, so it’s not clumpy and mixes beautifully into a moussey paste. Even though french green clay can be found all over the world, our french green clay is from France.
Our facial clay assortment pack has French Green Clay along with Kaolin, Bentonite and Rhassoul clay.
Use your french green clay in this banana mask for face recipe. Or try our other 8 french green clay mask recipes.
Then keep exploring with the new clay with our other many clay mask recipes.
Banana Face Mask Ingredients:
Recipe Yield: 1 face masks
You will need:
- 1 tsp of Banana Mashed Puree (Approx 1/8 of a banana)
- 1 tsp French Green Clay
- 1 tsp of coconut milk or almond milk*
Feel free to use organic milk, but milk can cause skin inflammation.
- 1 glass, wooden or plastic bowl (glass is preferred)
- 1 plastic, or wooden spoon
Mix How to Mix Banana Mask for your Face
This recipe yields 2 face mask recipes.
If you make too much, cover in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Step 1: Puree an approx 1/16 of a banana with a fork.
*Eat the rest! You will get 23% of your daily potassium nutrition and it’s great food for your skin.
Step 2: Add 1 tsp of coconut milk or almond milk.
Feel free to substitute with milk. I don’t like to add ingredients that contain increased hormones to my skin. Hormones play into my acne enough as is.
Step 3: Add 1 tsp of french green clay and mix until a smooth paste.
Tip: when mixing clay, try to avoid using metal. So use a plastic or wooden spoon and bowl. This is because of the cation exchange that takes place with how clay works.
Now it’s time to apply and relax.
How to apply Banana Mask:
This mask does get a bit messy with the banana puree, so a face mask brush is appreciated.
For application follow these instructions:
1. Cleanse your skin prior to applying a mask.
2. Using a face mask brush, apply the mask evenly to your face and neck.
3. **Most important** Remove the clay mask BEFORE it dries. To remove, gently splash water to rehydrate the clay. Then remove with water or face towel.
4. Follow up with a toner like witch hazel or diluted apple cider vinegar for acne prone skin.
5. Apply a moisturizer. This mask was quite hydrating for me, so I followed up with a tropical fractionated coconut oil. I love using oils for my moisturizer!
Some redness is perfectly normal after a clay mask. I go over in much more detail any questions about how to use a dry clay mask.
If you still have a bunch of questions, just ask below.
Banana Face Mask
Go bananas for this DIY banana face mask recipe with cleansing french green clay. Wonderful for deep cleansing your pores and detoxing skin while hydrating.
- 1 tsp of Banana Mashed Puree (Approx 1/16 of a banana)
- 1 tsp French Green Clay
- 1 tsp of coconut milk or almond milk*
- Mash 1/16 of a banana with a fork until smooth.
- Mix mashed banana with coconut or almond milk.
- Add french green clay and mix until smooth with a plastic or wooden spoon.
- Apply mask to a cleansed face.
- Remove BEFORE the mask dries
- Tone and moisturize
Disclaimer: Our content does not constitute a dermatologist or medical advice.
Did you try this mask? I would love to hear how it worked for you! Leave a comment below.